2023 Half Term Letter
The Academy is going from strength to strength, and I am committed to ensuring it does so at pace – to ensure your children get THE BEST outcomes and experience. After conducting several visits to other schools, I can assure you that this is the case. What we will not do though is rest on our laurels. I include some key information to help support our continued journey.
Teacher Strikes Action
- As you may have seen in the news, some Teaching Unions have some planned strike days – with the first being on Wednesday 1st February. These aren’t specific to our school, and it is a dispute between Teachers and the Government.
- I will be in touch later this week to update you IF this affects the Academy in any way
- Twitter and our website are our main methods of communication. Please ensure you follow us on Twitter (@NewsomeAcademy) to ensure you are fully part of the community and are up-to-date on communication.
- You will be emailed and texted if ever there is a change to the opening hours. If you don’t get our texts/emails, please contact the office.
- The website will inform you of any major news/announcements. Remember not to just search on Google – go to our proper page at ‘www.newsomeacademy.co.uk’.
- Mobile phones are not to be used or seen in the Academy. Our policy is “if it is seen – it is taken”. Students are well aware that should they need to be used in an emergency, they are to do so with an adult present. There have been (a small number) instances where students have texted or called home and caused unnecessary time spent relaying the message from an adult. Where this happens, a sanction will be put in place. Our main office remains the primary method of communication.
- Newsome Teal Hoodies are not uniform. Outdoor clothing is not to be worn inside the Academy. Our students were lucky enough last year to not only get their uniform free – but also some additional items – which I don’t want to distract from our uniform expectations.
- Chains/necklaces are not to be seen – they should be under the uniform. This is for health and safety purposes.
- Energy drinks – including PRIME Drinks are not permitted in the Academy. The reason for the banning of Prime is because of the distraction this causes. I also will not promote the ridiculous prices that the media promote in exploiting our children to want and pay.
- Knowledge Organisers are to be a regular feature in your studies. Each half-term links to what you are learning in each subject – know it and use it!
Mr S Mitchell – Assistant Headteacher PDBA