Independent study is an integral part of learning in order for students to achieve the best possible outcomes. Not only is it important for students to get used to working at home so that they are able to prepare for the study skills necessary for their exams, but also it is a key skill required to cope with professional demands in many careers and industries.
Home study will always link to the curriculum studied in school with opportunities to consolidate and practise learning. We believe that home study should not place an unnecessary burden on children or parents and carers.
In order to support this, KS3 homework will be linked to the key learning objectives in students’ Knowledge Organisers so parents and carers have a clear overview of what is being practised. The additional resources section will have activities to further practise the knowledge required.
At KS4 we expect students to become more independent in readiness for their GCSE exams and beyond. Therefore, they will have a suite of resources for subject-specific independent practice, past papers and revision guides alongside assignments set by their teacher.
Where to find assignments?
Students can log in with their school email address and password (firstname.lastname@example.org)
They can connect with their class where their assignments will be posted along with helpful resources.
Please watch these helpful demos to get started:
Key Stage 3 Curriculum (Year 7-9) - Knowledge Organisers
We have created half-termly knowledge organisers for Years 7-9. Here you will find the learning objectives for each half term in each subject. These objectives will be assessed at the end of each sequence of learning to monitor progress and ensure students know their areas of development and next steps. Each subject will outline:
- Key Vocabulary: subject specific terms and definitions.
- Key Concepts: the core knowledge to be learnt and committed to memory.
- Retrieval Practice: questions and example answers to test and check knowledge through recall.
- Career Focus: potential careers and industries linked to the knowledge and skills studied.
- Challenge Activities: additional activities to further accelerate learning.
- Topic Links: other curriculum areas where this knowledge/skill supports learning.
- Additional Resources: support for embedding the key concepts independently.
The Knowledge Organiser is an essential piece of equipment to be used in lessons and at home. Independent study will be closely linked to becoming fluent in the knowledge and skills outlined.
Study Support Information
See our helpful guide to independent study